Thursday, May 9, 2024

The story of how I reversed my Stenosing Flexor Tenosynovitis without surgery.

"Trigger thumb is a simple term for Stenosing Flexor Tenosynovitis of the thumb. This is a narrowing of the flexor tendon sheath which causes a clicking or popping sensation on attempted extension of the thumb."(1) And let me tell you - it is painful! My thumbs would snap out of place and remain locked there - feeling awful and looking funny. I would shake my hands, pull my thumbs, and swear. Sometimes I needed to soak my hands in hot water until I could get my thumbs to relax and go back into place. Then I would apply ice off and on over the next several days to bring down the swelling. 

I bought braces and wore them often. My thumbs acted up more often. I learned hand stretching exercises and did them daily - not just the days I was trying to crochet. By this point I had lost the original range of motion in my thumbs. I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon. I did not want surgery or steroid injections. The exercises were helping but not enough. I had to learn more. 

Then I found myself at a massage appointment complaining to my massage therapist about the discomfort and lack of function in my hands, and we traced the tightness from my hands and wrists, all the way up my arms, to my shoulders and neck. I had knots in all my muscles preventing me from gaining the benefits from my hand exercises. I stopped using the braces, scheduled monthly massages, and increased the daily exercises. 

Now I'm not saying my method will work for everyone else. Nor do I not claim to have gained all my mobility back. But my thumbs are behaving, and as a bonus, my grip is stronger. I do advocate, however, that every crochet artist regardless of age should stretch their hands before and after a crafting session. Below is my list of hand exercises. Follow along to help maintain your mobility and hopefully prevent trigger thumb in the future.(2)

1. Finger Stretches - Extend your fingers out wide and hold for a few seconds, then relax. Make a fist and then release. Repeat extending and clinching 7-10 times. Then gently bend each finger back towards your wrist, holding for a few seconds to stretch each one. 

2. Wrist Rotations - Rotate your wrists in circular motions, first clockwise and then counterclockwise, 4-8 times each direction. Then extend your arms high above your head and repeat the rotations again. 

3. Wrist Flexor Stretch - Extend your arm in front of you with your palm facing up. Use your other hand to gently bend your wrist downwards until you feel a stretch in your forearm. Hold for a few seconds and then release. Repeat on the other arm. 

4. Thumb Stretches - Hold your hand open and gently pull your thumb back towards your wrist until you feel a stretch along the base of your thumb and wrist. Hold for 10-15 seconds. 

5. Hand Squeezes - Squeeze a soft stress ball in each hand for a few seconds, then release. Repeat 7-10 times. [Oh! I have a crochet pattern for that.(3)]

6. Finger Tapping - Tap each finger individually three times against your thumb, starting with your index finger and moving to your pinky finger, and then reverse the order. Repeat 3 times. 

7. Finger Resistance - Place a rubber band around your fingers and thumb, then open and close your hand against the resistance of the band 7-10 times. 

8. Shoulder Rolls - Roll your shoulders backwards and forwards in a circular motion a couple of times to release tension in your upper body. 

9. Neck Stretches - Gently tilt your head towards one shoulder, holding for a few seconds, then tilt to the other side. Also gently turn your head to look far right and then far left for a few seconds. 

10. Deep Breathing - Take 3-5 deep breaths, inhaling slowly through your nose and exhaling through your mouth while dropping your shoulders.


References

(1) Pencle F, Harberger S, Molnar JA. Trigger Thumb. [Updated 2022 Jul 20]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2024 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441854/ 

(2) Video coming soon to https://www.youtube.com/@chrystalpeavy4220

(3) Crochet pattern for soft stress ball can be found on our Ko-Fi site, https://ko-fi.com/yarnkittens

No comments:

Post a Comment